Proven Leader in the
Private Brand Products Industry
Vi-Jon is one of the nation’s oldest private brand personal care manufacturers, serving customers in retail and institutional throughout North America. For more than 100 years, Vi-Jon’s success has revolved around our commitment to providing service, quality and cost while building, or maintaining, long-term, collaborative relationships with our customers across multiple channels including Grocery, Drug, Mass Merchants, Club, Dollar, and eCommerce. We fully understand the important role private brands play for each of our customers’ strategies in numerous product categories, and help create competitive solutions for every one of our customers’ needs.
Industry leading research and development and vast regulatory experience uniquely positions Vi-Jon to quickly introduce high quality, national brand equivalent products. With two state-of-the-art research and development facilities and five manufacturing and distribution centers in Missouri and Tennessee, we ship millions of bottles daily, representing one of the largest private brand manufacturers in North America.
Vi-Jon understands consumer behavior and competitive dynamics, which enables us to recommend solutions to meet each individual customer’s needs. We build strategic partnerships with our customers to create a seamless process from product inception to the end use by consumers. We are involved in every step in the product design, manufacturing and fulfillment stages, including creating the formula, developing packaging design and delivering the product.
Our dedication and commitment to developing, and producing, superior products at a great value while providing on-time and complete service has been recognized by several of our customers throughout the years and has earned Vi-Jon numerous awards, including Supplier of the Year, Vendor of the Year and Vendor Award of Excellence.
Vi-Jon’s unmatched reputation for high quality products, outstanding customer service and reliable, on-time delivery drives the company to success across multiple channels. By focusing on our customers’ needs and aggressively reinvesting in facilities and equipment, our team of more than 1,300 associates is dedicated to exceeding our customers’ expectations and providing world class service.
Vi-Jon is strengthened by the guidance of experienced executive leadership. Find out more about the executive team here.
Share in our company’s history, and see how the achievements of our past have set the stage for the way we work and succeed today:
- 1908: Vi‐Jon is founded in 1908 by John Burgess Brunner and his wife, Viola, and called the Peroxide Specialty Company.
- 1912: After a brief move to Cincinnati early on, the two brought the company back to its original home in St. Louis where it has remained ever since.
- 1933: After expanding plant facilities, the company changed its name to Vi-Jon Laboratories. A combination of the first names of Mr. Brunner and his wife, Viola, the new name is also inspired by the violets and jonquils on the label of our first successful line of cosmetics.
- 1942: Vi-Jon’s sales exceed $1.1 million, with a company roster of 70 people.
- 1960s: Following the lead of retailers like Woolworth’s most of the national chain stores start requesting private brand merchandise. Vi-Jon is listening.
- 1970s: Instead of producing one batch of Vi-Jon labeled product, Vi-Jon begins producing 50 batches labeled for several different retail chains.
- 1979: With close to 100 employees, Vi-Jon’s sales reach $5.5 million.
- 1984: Vi-Jon becomes the largest private brand producer of mouthwash, with nail polish remover and petroleum jelly close behind.
- 1992: Vi-Jon purchases a new plant on Page Avenue in St. Louis. Within the year, a compounding section is added, executive offices are moved from the original plant, and six production lines are running.
- 1994: Vi-Jon purchases a struggling private brand manufacturer named Hunt Products and also begins manufacturing antibacterial soap – the precursor to our Germ-X line.
- 1997: Germ-X is launched.
- 2006: Vi‐Jon and Tennessee‐based manufacturer Cumberland‐Swan, which was founded in 1898, merged, instantly doubling the size of the company.
- 2008: Vi-Jon celebrates its one hundredth anniversary and has grown to five manufacturing and distribution centers in St. Louis, Missouri and Smyrna, Tennessee.
- 2009: John G Brunner, the third generation of Brunner’s leading Vi-Jon, retires as CEO.
- 2011: Gerald (“Jerry”) Bowe joins Vi-Jon as the Chairman and CEO.
- 2012: Construction is completed on a million-gallon wastewater treatment plant located on the grounds of the Smyrna, Tennessee facility. The new treatment plant is fully compliant with regulations and is more efficient.
- Present: Today, the focus on teamwork, innovation and success are still present as the company continues to produce high quality products for major retailers while also entering new categories.
- Use of reusable materials, recycling efforts and energy-efficient systems at factories, such as reducing fuel consumption and GHG emissions
- Tennessee plant has been recognized by the state for an 85%+ reduction of hazardous waste shipments.
- The Tennessee plant is also being reclassified from LQG (Large Quantity Generator) to CESQG (Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator) status
- Vi-Jon EHS&S initiated use of a new EHSMS (data management system) to record and report Environmental and Sustainability metrics
We are also inspired by our long-term sustainability vision, which includes implementing programs and goals to reduce GHG emissions and energy/water consumption at production facilities, achieving zero-landfill waste management at production facilities and engaging supply chain partners to reduce carbon footprint, biodiversity loss and freshwater depletion.
Vi-Jon strongly believes in supporting the communities where we live and work. Our commitment to social responsibility and corporate citizenship is evident through the support of select non-profit organizations, primarily in the communities we operate in, that are aligned with our values and mission. The organizations Vi-Jon supports typically focus on education, health and welfare and in instances where there may be emergency needs (i.e. natural disasters or health emergencies). Here are some of the organizations we currently support:
- Komen Race for the Cure in TN and MO
- Komen (the national program)
- LP Pencil Box
- The Biome
- Team Activities for Special Kids (TASK)
- St. Jude
- The Ronald McDonald House in TN and MO
- Autism Speaks in TN and MO
- Stray Rescue St. Louis
- Happy Tales Humane
- The Humane Society of MO
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Alzheimer’s Association in TN and MO
- The Red Cross in TN and MO
- The Red Cross (the national program)
- Independence Center
- St. Louis Area Food Bank
- Smyrna/LaVergne Food Bank
- Northwest Arkansas Food Bank
- Middle Tennessee Food Bank
- Courage Beyond
- Wounded Warriors Project
- Toys for Tots
- Cops and Kids
- Disaster Relief Support
Learn more about our corporate giving policy here.